Summer is here and our local farmers markets and grocery stores are full of fresh delicious fruits and vegetables. Most people know that eating fruits and vegetables is important for good health, but most of us still aren’t getting enough. This July, Jersey Physical Therapy encourages you and your family to incorporate more fresh delicious fruits and vegetables into your diet.
Eating fruits and vegetables has many health benefits. People who eat a healthy, balanced diet with plenty of fruits and vegetables can help lower their risk for heart disease, type 2 diabetes, and some types of cancer! Eating healthy can also help prevent obesity and high blood pressure.
However, many people don’t eat enough fruits and vegetables:
- Fewer than 1 in 7 adults eat the recommended amount of fruits every day.
- Fewer than 1 in 10 adults eat the recommended amount of vegetables every day.
Here are some ideas to help you and your family fit more fruits and vegetables into your day:
- No need to give up on the sweets! Substitute candies and sugary processed foods for yummy strawberries, grapes and pineapple. Fruit salads are a great way to satisfy your sweet tooth.
- Sometimes you just grab for what is easy and in reach. Keep a bowl of fruit handy where the whole family can see it.
- Cut up fruits and veggies ahead of time so they’re ready for quick, healthy snacks.
- For breakfast, top whole-grain toast with peanut butter and sliced bananas.
- Many fruits taste great with a dip or dressing. Try fat-free or low-fat yogurt as a dip for fruits like strawberries or melons.
- Add fruit like pineapple or peaches to kabobs as part of a barbecue meal.
- Challenge your family to try a new veggie or fruit every week. Have fun with it. Next time you go shopping, buy vegetables and fruits in a variety of colors.
- Use this locator to find a farmers market near you: https://1.usa.gov/okPPzA
Remember, eating more fruits and veggies can be fun – and it’s worth it!